There are many styles of project management as there are project managers and there are many tools out there in the market to help them manage their teams better.
Why then is finding the right project management tool as elusive as finding the right tailor for your suit. Simply because each manager gives importance to different things in a project / task. And finding the right project management tool is not as easy as finding the elusive tailored suit that fits you well.
But all good project managers agree on one thing. That using a good project management tool that is effective can decrease costs and increase productivity and catch cracks before they become earthquakes.
So we compiled a checklist of 20 features that a good project management tool should have
1. A simple uncluttered user interface that can be understood and used by anyone quickly
2. Ability to create projects, tasks and sub tasks with start by, due by dates and assignees
3. Attach time and costs to activities related to the task. Compare it with actual working costs, billable hours and non-billable hours.
4. Ability to copy projects and tasks and create templates
5. Security settings - ability to set different levels of access and permission settings
6. Ability to set reminders and alerts
7. Linked with timesheets and reporting tools
8. Powerful and Quick search Filters based on time and text to find any object - project, task, user or file
9. Ability to set budgeted and actual costs
10. Ability to change task assignee
11. Ability to view and filter activity stream
12. Ability to Add notes, Todo lists, have team discussions and post updates
13. Graphical representation of tasks and dependent tasks on Gantt charts and counters
14. Set custom approval paths with reviewers for tasks and projects
15. Have good support team to answer your questions and help with set up
16. Permission settings to decide how much of visibility team members get.
17. Share documents and files from your computer / Dropbox, Google Drive or Box.
18. Have watchers who can watch project progress without being team members
19. Set approval paths for projects and tasks for different stages
20. Affordable costs that make it easy for managers to sign up and get organized
We present ProjectToolBelt that has all the features above and more and above all is a free project management software. A great plus point is that we have a great support team too!